Sunday, October 18, 2009

Lecherous Voyeur

I know it seems morally reprehensible and corrupt, but I feel sexually excited by the classic old man and young girl scenes. Like Nabokov’s ‘Lolita’, or perhaps ‘The Story of O’ (although she was not that young – the scenario is similar), and Luis Buñuel’s ‘That Obscure Object Of Desire’. It is a theme that has titillated me for my whole life. I used to be a ‘rescuer’ of girls who were in difficult situations with men, and now I feel excited about just watching such a scene, or even imagining it. There is something awfully D/s and erotic about the helpless ‘petite fromage’ and the big hairy, hungry powerful rat baron with his cummerbund and big fat belly (hiding a tiny penis no doubt). How awful of me! I’ll have to write a little story.

There is also the classic that comes to mind from the Book Of Daniel. As the story goes, a fair Hebrew wife is falsely accused by lecherous voyeurs. As she bathes in her garden, having sent her attendants away, two lusty elders secretly observe the lovely Susanna. When she makes her way back to her house, they accost her, threatening to claim that she was meeting a young man in the garden unless she agrees to make love to them.

She refuses to be blackmailed, and is arrested and about to be put to death for promiscuity when a young man named Daniel interrupts the proceedings. After separating the two men, they are questioned about details (cross-examination) of what they saw, but disagree about the tree under which Susanna supposedly met her lover. In the Greek text, the names of the trees cited by the elders form puns with the sentence given by Daniel. The first says they were under a mastic (υπο σχινον, hupo schinon), and Daniel says that an angel stands ready to cut (σχισει, schisei) him in two. The second says they were under an evergreen oak tree (υπο πρινον, hupo prinon), and Daniel says that an angel stands ready to saw (πρισαι, prisai) him in two. The great difference in size between a mastic and an oak makes the elders’ lie plain to all the observers. The false accusers are put to death, and virtue triumphs.

And then there is the classic painting which revealed all of my nature to me when I was young; Little did I know how much it was affecting me – Suzanna And The Elders by Guido Reni (at Uffizi Gallery, Florence).

No comments:

Post a Comment