Monday, November 30, 2009

You can catch, you're a lesbian, right?

This is what I heard in the kitchen at work recently when I asked a fella near the utensils to toss me a plastic knife… which I subsequently bobbled. I chuckled and said “my wife is the athletic one, I’m the musical one.”

But seriously, that speaks to a couple things… one of them being that all lesbians play softball–which is a terribly old stereotype. Another odd thing happened, I probably would have been a little more annoyed by this young man… except that he then sat down and started telling me the story of his life as a young gay man. I had just popped into the kitchen for a quick beverage refill, but took a few moments to sit and listen.

I guess we never know how our life interacts with or affects another life. In a moment of not hiding who I am (I don’t wear a t-shirt that says “I’m a big ‘ol dyke”– I simply reply authentically and clarify when someone assumes my spouse is a man), a young man found a moment that he could speak freely within.

[Via http://bridgeout.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment