Monday, November 23, 2009

hello invasion of privacy

“I’m going to run before I can walk.”

 

Hello world, could you fuck right off please?

I’ve been getting angry lately, mostly with the homophobic people in my community. Why? Because besides their homophobic ways the still want to know about my love-life, despite the fact that I don’t have one.

But, a couple of weeks ago I did have a love-life. The fact that the relationship is now over isn’t detering these people from breaking down the barriers of privacy, and it’s all with the help of social networking sites.

I can immediately recall the way they all reacted when I came out. Gasps and “Fucking dyke!” were my social life for a couple of months, but then things died down. Besides the fact that majority of the people I had grown up with and gone to school with could no longer look me in the eye, it seems their curiousity had a hunger all it’s own.

You see, a couple of months after coming out I got into contact with an old friend. Imagine my surprise when she triumphantly declared that she was gay as well. Then imagine my further surprise when this tomboy-turned-butch suddenly admitted to having a huge crush on me. I was shocked, and so damn relieved.

It quickly became a relationship, a shaky one at that, but we saw each other ever second weekend and did all the normal things a couple did. The only difference, whenever we walked down the streets all the eyes suddenly caught the image of us holding hands before diverting just as quickly. Then, it all started again.

The relationship only lasted four and a half months but by the end of the that at least 53 of my so-called ‘friends’ (I think Facebook needs to re-evaluate that word) had added her to their friends list, just so they could see the progression of the relationship.

It was also in that time that I was berated by people for putting ‘personal information’ on Facebook about a relationship that they found repulsive.

“Excuse me?! You were the one who added her to your friends list instead of having the common decency to talk to me about it! If you don’t want to read that stuff, then remove both of us from your friends list!”

I was met with the typical response: nothing.

I got over it for awhile. I let it go like people told me to. But then that little number changed to 58.

I couldn’t help it, and I think I was completely right in getting angry. I had no right to ever talk about their relationships, hell they wouldn’t even say hello, so what in their minds gave them the idea that they could sit there discussing and talking to my ex about our break-up?

I admit, this is me venting here but I just can’t wrap my head around the immaturity of these people. They’re so greedy and gossip-y and they find it amusing when I get angry about it. If I invaded their privacy I’d practically be burnt at the stake for it. But do I have rights? No.

I’ve recently come to wonder where common decency has disappeared to. I’m respectful to people, I don’t force my company on anyone who doesn’t want it and I sure as hell don’t enter into private affairs.

So this is my own declaration that I have no idea how I could be classed with such unjustified discrimination, indecency and lack of privacy.

But this also sadly throws into light how different I feel from my age group.

I guess we can’t all fit in, can we?

- Cal.

 

My words…

A misprint.

Can’t find;

Comprehension?

No, my words.

[Via http://theitidentity.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment