Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Young femme invisibility

 

While browsing the blogosphere, I noticed all the talk about femme invisibility. SugarButch and the nice blogger from can I help you sir? Some say that of course there is no such thing of that! We see you, cause were dating you! Or something to that degree. But I have to agree. I’m pretty damn invisible. I mean most gay girls over look me and just keep walking right into the arms of the cute dyke who screams gay. I mean, fine you don’t like me that way but at lest acknowledge me as a freaking lesbian at the GSA meetings. It’s hard enough being one of the two black girls at the meetings, but must you ignore me as well? At every meeting do  I have remind you I’m a lesbian by saying” I’m a real lesbian!” every time? I really don’t want to change who I am just so I can have cute Boi’s walk up to me and acknowledge that I’m alive. I don’t want to cut my hair ,get a gay tattoo, buy men’s clothing and buy a bunch of gay  shirt’s that are obscene. That’s just not me. I’m a laid back girl who dose prefers her apple bottom jeans and sneakers. But can work a dress and high heels like nobody’s business.So why should I change who I am just prove to people I’m gay? I mean, I”m attracted to the masculine side of the lesbian/Queer spectrum just because I’m attracted to them and what they seem to bring out in me. Every time I’m around them it makes my heart beat a little faster and just brings a big old geeky smile to my face. Maybe it’s because I go to college in a small town and can’t go to any of the clubs because I’m 19. Or maybe it’s because sadly, I live in a not so thriving part of the south that dosen’t have a lot of young lesbians. We have  lots of lesbians here but none who are my age. So I guess I’m just sick and tired of being ignored and laughed off when I say I’m a lesbian. It really hurts me that I’m being ignored as part of the lesbian community just because I don’t scream “gay” the way they want me to scream gay. And you know what, that’s BS. I shouldn’t have to prove I’m gay just because I don’t look like the stereotypical “lesbian”. So this  a plea from a young baby femme, next time you see a  femme girl walk into the GSA and come out to people in the club, don’t laugh. Just give a small smil and say” Hi there”.

 

 

[Via http://princessbabydyke.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment