Monday, November 16, 2009

crazy

Things have been so crazy I can’t believe it’s been so long since I have written in here. The last few Sundays have been our L Word days. We have been renting the last season on Netflix. So, the last disc they had all these bonus features and I was bored while Brooke was on the phone and so I watched them. They had a segment call the L Generation. They interviewed different lesbians and couples on coming out and what the show means to them and all that. There were a few younger women, but what really hit me were the older couples. In Arizona they had these retirement apartments strictly for gays and lesbians. They showed all these pictures of them in the 50’s-70’s. One woman spoke of how she kept getting arrested for wearing men’s clothes. That was actually illegal, I had no idea. Some of these women were together for 30 years plus. One couple actually got married by an activist priest in the 60’s. No matter what all of them had such prejudice against them. However, it did not stop them for dressing the way they wanted or doing what they wanted with the ones they loves. These women were married the same way Brooke and I feel we are married, but haven’t gotten anything legal. However, back then they had no options to get pregnant the way we do. The only option was to sleep with a man or something. One woman had said the world has definitely come a long way, however not far enough. I am thankful beyond belief the most I get is a despising stare and that is rare. I know when I go to certain areas it’s not safe to hold hands with Brooke. But overall it has become more of the norm to see gays and lesbians. I work with kids everyday and they mostly all know I am a lesbian. They see that I am a normal person just like the straight people they know. And I am proud to be that person in their lives to show them gay people are just like everyone else. We know some lesbian couples in their 40’s and 50’s and I feel for them that they really didn’t have an option to have kids when they wanted. In so many ways I feel lucky that even though we have to jump through so many hoops and hire lawyers and whatnot we still have opportunities that many men and women didn’t have a chance of. One of the actors on the show said she hopes one day her daughter will say to her, “what do you mean there was a time gays and lesbians couldn’t get married? that’s crazy”. I do hope so much I can say that to our future children.

No comments:

Post a Comment