Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Our First Marathon: A whim to reality.

I’ll be the first to admit that I can be an extremist. When I was 29 years old I decided to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine, 2163 miles in a season. No one I knew thought I could do it. I did it. I also decided to jump out of an airplane, and proceeded to get and AFF freefall license..(20 jumps).  I kind of lucked out in that I recently (2 years ago) I married a woman who was kind of a closet extremist.

The thing I love about my marriage and my wife, is that I can usually convince Connie to go along with my crazy ideas…I’ll suggest something for us to accomplish. I’ll sign us up, and then Connie has a way of making us see it through. We’re a perfect team really. The last thing we did (September 13th of this year) was a sprint triathlon, we have done this twice. The time before that was a 120 mile bike ride that took place in one, yes ONE day, we did this twice. My bum has never been the same. Now I’ve gotten us into a Marathon. 26.2 miles. It happened by accident really.

My intention was to sign us up for the Disney World “HALF” marathon. It was full. It came as no surprise to Connie when I said “let’s just do the whole thing.” She agreed and I signed us up.  That was a week ago.  Since then, we have begun running a lot.  We are researching marathon training programs, airline tickets, lodging options, nutrition programs, hydrations options, running shoes, sports watches, online training logs, running clubs and blister protection.  We believe we have what it takes to finish a marathon.  26.2 miles.  My goal is to not only have my eye on the goal of finishing, but to be present in every moment leading up to it.  I have never used the word “Runner” in any context to describe myself, ever.  In this moment, from here forward, “I am a runner.”

No comments:

Post a Comment