Monday, September 28, 2009

Youth summit educates, entertains

The Greater Cincinnati GLBTQ Youth Summit, held on Saturday at Northern Kentucky University, made for an educational experience that area youths won’t soon forget.

Many of the sessions focused around introductory areas of organizing, the status of the LGBT movement and transgender inclusion/education.

One defining moment was when Erin Upchurch, community organizer for Equality Ohio, pointed out that people let their egos get in the way of their activism. This idea really hit home with me: This past year I, as well as many other activists I know, have let hating everything get in the way. Rather than supporting everyone’s activism, I criticized and critiqued. That is no attitude to have when trying to institute change. I have been working on my attitude lately by just trying to keep an open mind and make myself available to help – rather than look down upon – my less radical counterparts, while continuing my own activism. 

I also attended a session hosted by the Lady Jetta. He was not in drag during the session, but he did bring along some of his costuming and rhinestone-encrusted treasures. He also did a great job of educating attendees on the difference between crossdressers, drag queens and transwomen.

After the sessions, dinner was served with a drag show as entertainment. The queens had randomly selected a conference attendee to be put into drag and perform “Lady Marmalade” as the opening number. Performers included Sity Hall, Penny Tration, the Lady Jetta and JAC McFaggin from the Black Mondays.

The Lady Jetta graciously allows me to try on one of her crowns.

Penny Tration, Sity Hall, the Lady Jetta and an attendee preform "Lady Marmalade."

The Lady Jetta sparkles for the crowd before she reveals a flashy, fringe number.

No comments:

Post a Comment