Friday, March 12, 2010

All OVER the place...

I’ve been itching to write all day, but haven’t been able to focus enough to collect my thoughts. Actually, I’m still not “there” yet…

First:

So, what do you think of settling in for a good evening of reading The Bible while enjoying a beer? I’d love comments, please.

Second:

One of my internal sutures is trying to poke through my skin. (i.e. inside to out) This sucks. I can’t afford for this incision to open up again, but there’s just not much that I can do about it.

Third:

I linked this story on facebook, but wanted to put it out here for a different “audience”…

Lesbian teen sues Miss. school over prom flap – Yahoo! News

Why advertise? Why ask permission? I thought we resolved this issue back in the late ’90’s.

This sounds funny but “back in MY day”, we took group pics or whatever we wanted at prom. Female friends would take pictures in 2’s, 3’s, or 4’s. Two hetero couples would take one picture – which is what I did. Prom was prom, seniors did it, and I believe that kids need it. It’s a rite of passage.

I think if you just act NORMAL/human, nobody who matters will say anything. I feel like this quote MUST be famous, but I can’t find it… so, in my own words “Be the person that you want others to perceive.” What I mean is, if you act normal, most likely people will treat you normally. If you act like a freak, people will treat you freakishly.

Personally, it’s not the first thing I tell someone when I meet them. I’ve got nothing to “prove”. I’m no better or worse than any of the people around me. Yes, a queer is who I am, but it doesn’t define me as a person in the world. That strategy has always worked for me. Just get to know me for ME – you can like Julie or dislike Julie. Then, when or if the time is right, I “drop the bomb”. Some people’s reaction is something like, “Wow, I didn’t know I knew a lesbian.” For others who are willing to face the world realistically, they know other gay people already.

Just one dyke’s opinion. Queer or not, why make a ruckus? There is one thing that we ALL have in common – we’re human.

[Via http://justjules.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment