Monday, March 15, 2010

Sexuality

I was watching the show Desperate Housewives last night, and something just struck me as mildly annoying. There’s a character on the show, Catherine, a heterosexual woman, so it would seem. She recently had a sexual experience with a woman. She goes through all sorts of torment trying to figure out if she’s a lesbian, and is totally confused.  A neighbor drops by her home, and witnesses Catherine, on the receiving end of affection by the woman she had the experience with. The neighbor, Susan, goes home to her husband and tells him about Catherine being a lesbian now. Here’s my thing, it’s fine if she is, indeed, a lesbian now. But why does everyone just gloss over bisexuality? This woman, Catherine, had been married and very much attracted to men. She lost her mind, actually, over losing the man she loved. So, she gets a new roommate who, happens to be a very attractive lesbian. One night, they get together, now all of a sudden Catherine is being labeled a lesbian. Granted,the storyline just started, so I have no idea where it’s heading. Never once did the word bisexual enter the equation.  I hope the writers of the show make mention of it. There’s hardly ever bisexual characters on these shows, most are boxed into being either straight or gay. Now that I come to think about it, the show House, is the only show I watch, with a bisexual character.  So, I would love to see Catherine embrace her attraction to both sexes. It would be more realistic and a breath of fresh air, if you ask me. I’m not at all suggesting that, one can’t suddenly realize, that they’re gay. I’m just merely suggesting that, the situation not be so cut and dry. Sexuality is fluid, and one can fall anywhere within the spectrum.

[Via http://maytorres72.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment