Friday, March 12, 2010

Archdiocese of Denver, Colorado decides to not allow a childs re-enrollment because their parents are lesbians?

Occasionally I run across events in the world that leave me shaking my head. This situation happens to be one of those.

According to a report on CNN, some Catholic woo hoo decided they did not want a child enrolled in their school because that childs parents are lesbians. This is another sad reality of modern religion and the messed up followers within it.

I sat here taking in the whole situation and trying to find a reasoning behind the actions, but I could not find something to support such.

They said “We communicated the policy to the couple at Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic School as soon as we realized the situation. We discussed the reasons with them and have sought to respond in a way that does not abruptly displace the student but at the same time respects the integrity of the Catholic school’s philosophy.”

For me, I grew up in religion. Not Catholic as in this case but Baptist. None the less, it deals with many similar things: Jesus and the Bible. That is where I sit reflecting on this event. Often I was taught to hate the sin, not the sinner. In the Bible, it was shown that Jesus hung around the poor, the prostitutes, and the less accepted people of society. He didn’t accept their lifestyles and choices but He showed them a love and light that was different from what we unfortunately see today. Maybe I’m just old fashioned but I’m definitely not an so much an extremist that I see with most religions today. It just turns me off to religion as a whole, it’s changed so much that I’ve fallen away.

The church goes on to add “The issue is not about our not accepting ’sinners,’ ” he said. “It is not about punishing the child for the sins of his or her parents. It is simply that the lesbian couple is saying that their relationship is a good one that should be accepted by everyone; and the Church cannot agree to that.”

This is another classic example of exstremist behavior, or even snobbish/elite attitude. I saw this a lot growing up and I hated it. I found more acceptance and love in one year of public school later in my life than I found in the decade or so that I spent in private “christian” schools. I feel sorry that the child in this situation has to be subjected to this ridicule and shunning, all because of things that are out of his control.

For this church to hold this child accountable and subject to their parents lifestyle choices and views is unacceptable and sad. I wonder how many wife beaters are in the church going unnoticed. I wonder how many abusive alcoholics are in the church. I wonder how many couples are living together out of wedlock in the church. I wonder how many drug users and pedophiles are in that church. I wonder how many divorced/single parents have children attending that school. I could go on and on in this.

If the church really cared as much for the “lost” as much as they claim, they would accept this child in, perhaps giving him a chance to see a different view of life and religion. Instead, the child will grow up remembering how the Catholic church rejected him for something he had no control over. The child will probably grow up thinking it is his fault and that nothing he does will fix that. Is this an extreme view? Perhaps, but as adults we fail to remember what it was like growing up, the trials we were put through and the rejects we too faced. Some are able to overcome them, others fall through the cracks.

I don’t have a problem with God, I have a problem with His followers. And because of things like this, it’s what keeps me away from religion as a whole, because I hate knowing if I was to go back I would have to deal with situations and actions like the ones in this church, all over again.

No thanks.

[Via http://lynnterra.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment