Friday, March 12, 2010

Fighting the good fight-- All the way to prom

Today, Itawamba County Agricultural High School in Fulton, Mississippi, cancelled their senior prom for April 2 when 18 year old senior (and lesbian) Constance McMillen insisted she would be  taking her girlfriend (and wearing a tux) in spite of their prohibition of same-sex couples.  I realize in the grand scheme of things, fighting for the right to go to prom may not seem like such a big deal– after all, homosexuals in Uganda are quite literally at risk of losing the right to life here soon– but I’m still blown away.  In high school (which though only several years ago seems like it must have been in another lifetime) I would have died, died, if I thought people thought I might like a girl, or be attracted to one… nonetheless be willing to stand up to my classmates, my administrators, my school board, and even my whole city and say look, this is who I am, I’m not ashamed, and I will not change for you… That’s just… awesome.  So awesome.

So wherever you are Constance, you are my hero of the week for sure.  Fight the good fight.  I wish I could be more like you.

Oh and if anyone wants more details/info you can check out the story at: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lesbian_prom_date

[Via http://skinnyjeanlipstics.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment