Monday, November 16, 2009

Brooklyn's not so bad after all

I am a Queens girl. Let’s get one thing straight right now. Astoria is my jam, I love the food, the neighborhood Allston/Brighton feeling (someone catch my nostalgic Boston reference, please), the safety, and the proximity to midtown (I can get to Times Square in 25 minutes). What’s not to like, right?

The girl to whom I am uncommitted but sleeping with is a Brooklyn girl. Yes, I immediately judged this, however I am pretty new to NY. All I know is that there are SHITTY parts of Brooklyn, and that everyone I know who’s been mugged has had it happen in Brooklyn. Whom-whooomp.  So the fact that when I stay over with this girl, I have to stay over in -Brooklyn-, well, it puts a damper on the whole night.

In the past few weeks, I have started to dislike Brooklyn less, especially b/c she lives in a beautiful area (Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill/Park Slope), and she took me through it yesterday, quietly showing me her Brooklyn– not selling it,  just opening up the streets that she loves so much for me to explore.

And I grew to love it too. No one had ever shown me the Cambridge-esque (someone, Boston, please, you’re killing me) quality that these areas have, the indy markets, the nick-nack shops, the beautiful boutiques, and the VEGAN FOOD! (I’m not vegan. But I love vegan food. I think it tastes better than meat & dairy.) I was shocked and amazed to be totally bowled over by the picturesque family feeling of this new area that I hadn’t really given a proper chance before. And I suppose if you want to take a microscope to the day, I think I was pretty bowled over by this girl too and by the humanness and flawed/flawless beauty she hadn’t let show before.

It was uncharacteristically warm, so we were comfortable in only light jackets, walking through fallen leaves on the sidewalk, feeling the breeze without catching the chill. It was a really blessed day for us both to have been there with each other, learning more about each other than what we had originally seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment