Thursday, October 8, 2009

Picketing Without A Purpose

I live in Tower District which also happens to be home the a relatively large but pleasant homeless population, a pack of wild dogs that chases anything with wheels and the local Planned Parenthood. Every so often I’ll pass by that conspicuously nondescript building and outside will be protesters, inevitably with children, holding says saying “Abortion Kills” or “A heart starts beating X number of days after conception” or “Pray to end abortion”.

Now abortion does kill and a baby’s heart does start beating at some point and you can pray to end abortion to your hearts content… but none of that actually does anything to solve the problem. I can think of lots of fun phrases that would fit on cardboard signs that would actually reduce abortions however:

END ABSTINENCE-ONLY SEX EDUCATION

IMPROVE ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES FOR WOMEN AND MINORITIES

END RAPE CULTURE

Yet somehow I doubt the other protesters would welcome me with open arms if I showed up holding signs with ideas to actually fix the issue…

No comments:

Post a Comment