Thursday, October 8, 2009

So-called 'Corrective Rape'

Over the past couple of weeks I have read a number of articles about the crime of so-called ‘corrective rape’ perpetrated against black lesbians in South Africa. In a couple of the cases the women were also murdered.

Reading these sickening accounts got me thinking about just how widespread this heinous crime is? Is it only happening in South Africa or are other lesbians in other parts of the world victims of this degrading offence?

Is it only black South African lesbians who fall prey to so-called ‘corrective rape’ or are white South African lesbians also targeted? How are white lesbians perceived in South Africa?, do they suffer the same prejudice, ignorance, disdain and hate as their black counterparts?

Having posed a number of questions to which I have no real answers perhaps the most pertinent question now is what can I, a black British lesbian, do to help bring about an end to this most grievous criminal act?  

If you have any answers to my questions please do let me know, I welcome all constructive feedback and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment