Monday, November 2, 2009

Interracial Marriage

Interracial Marriage Is It Ok?

Seeing that our new president is the product of an interracial relationship questions about the subject have once again come to the forefront.  Whether you speak from a Christian or secular viewpoint, I want your input; so feel free to leave a comment.

“Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.” Jude 1:7

Most, if not all commentators suggest that “strange flesh” really means “same sex.” In these last days, there sure is a lot of that going on. But is that what the writer meant?  If we had no more to go on that the names Sodom and Gomorrha, That’s certainly a conclusion you would come to.  However, we have a simple Bible study tool called a “Dictionary!” According to Webster’s 1828 Dictionary “Strange” means (1.) Foreign; belonging to another country.

I’m no Greek scholar, but I did look up the term on my computer. Strong says “strange” comes from the Greek term heteros (as in heterosexual). A form of that word, meaning “other” or “different,” appears nearly 100 times. Now, I said it came from heteros but the exact form of the word in Jude 1:7 (“strange flesh”) is heteras which occurs only twice. The only other place is found in Heb 7:13 – “For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.”

I would also like to point out all the warnings the Book of Proverbs gives concerning “strange women.”  (Pr 2:16; 5:3,20; 6:24; 7:5; 20:16; 23:27; 27:13)  I’m aware of the spiritual application there, but I certainly wouldn’t fault a person for applying it literally and not “spiritualizing” it.

I know this topic is highly controversial and that is why I posted it.    Men and women from both sides of this issue are seeking help and spiritual guidance on this issue.  For that reason I speak plainly.

I do not know whether God is always opposed to Gentiles marrying outside of their respective races.  I know it would be sin for me. If I came home with a Nubian Goddess, mom and dad would have a heart attack and needless to say, that would go against Matthew 19:19 “Honour thy father and thy mother…”

But Interracial or not, a couple who won’t honor God and their parents during the courtship, has no reason to expect the blessings of God during their marriage.

For those on the fence, I would have to advise you to marry within your own race because, frankly, we live in a cruel world.  Even among churchgoing folk, racial bigotry and stereotypes run rampant.

But if you’re already married interracially, don’t let the devil beat you up about it.  No, you won’t be accepted everywhere and that’s just a fact you will have to live with.  But I promise you one thing; God’s people will love you.

I’m looking forward to any comments on the subject and especially on Jude 1:7.

“We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren…” (1John 3:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment