Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Sorta...Kinda...Mostly..Out

Something that I found kinda funny when I started talking to my girlfriend is that there are a loooot more gay, bisexual, or slightly curious women in our area than I thought.  It was like I had been given a pass to their world…maybe that sounds a little lame but its how it felt.  My girlfriend is the only woman that I have ever been in a relationship with, and I didn’t have a lot of gay friends growing up so I really didn’t know who was gay and who wasn’t.  Riley says that I have the worst gaydar of anyone she knows, kinda like Dana from the L word when she first came out.  Its hard for me to pick up on the subtleties because I guess I’ve never had to look for them.  Thankfully all women don’t fit into the lesbian stereotypes but I mean if they did…I might be better at figuring them out.  I am probably the last person anyone would suspect of having a girlfriend and yet here I am.  The only ones I have pegged are the softball players…you have to watch them.

So here’s all these women out there that have girlfriends and have been in loooong term relationships but no one really knows that they’re there.  We have the ones that everyone knows for sure is gay, and are talked about behind their back and some right to their face.  For the most part, however, people really have no idea I feel like.  In the area where I live, it doesn’t pay for everyone to know you’re gay…bisexual…anything other than god fearing, church going, getting married because by god..thats what you’re supposed to do.  My family knows I’m with my girlfriend, I’m not sure exactly what they think I am; I don’t have the patience to explain bisexuality to them.  My close friends know, my girlfriend’s friends know, but most of her family I think is still waiting on her to bring home Mr. Right.

We watch shows like The L word, and  maybe we’re envious of how OUT those women can be everyday. Back in the real world there are varying degrees of being out and not one is right for everyone.  There is nothing wrong with the person that is completely open and doesn’t give a damn what anyone else thinks.  Just like there is nothing wrong with the person that prefers more privacy.  Its not fair to judge, we’re all in the same ocean if not the same boat.

[Via http://notbobdylan.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment