Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What? I Can't Hear You Over Your Dress!

I apologize in adance for the rambly nature of this post.

Sometimes I feel like I live in the wrong place, that it doesn’t fit my fashion needs. Now I know that sounds silly especially with online shopping but I’m not necessarily talking about the availability of styles but more so with the lack luster fashion nature of Boise not to mention the closed mindedness and lack of FA.  The other day I took a friend out to  lunch for her birthday and we ran into another friend from our past. Now this was a man, and a man who goes more for that punk grunge look, but none the less I was surprised when he looked me up and down and asked me almost patronizingly “why are you so dressed up”. This was my Time Warp last Tuesday, come on I was wearing a sweater dress, leggings and heels, how is that “dressed up”? It wasn’t like I was sporting a sequin gown, but I wouldn’t put that past me HA!

So this morning I put on this dress that I just received last week from ASOS Curve (I’m showing it on Sakina from Saks In The City because I really love the way it looks on her compared to the model on the ASOS site). I absolutely love it, and I think it will be really great for Spring, but i couldn’t help myself and decided I couldn’t wait and needed to wear  it now. It has black in it so I paired it with black leggings a black corset belt and black boots. It toned it down a bit and made it season appropriate and I think I look awesome. On my way to work I ran into Jamba Juice to grab a smoothie and it was actually pretty packed in there.  There were all sorts of people from different walks of life in there, some mothers with their children, some business people, and some high schoolers. They all kinda looked at me like I was crazy. The smoothie girl commented on my dress and said that it was very “bright” and I was ”brave”  she said this almost with a cringe that read off her face as if she had said “loud and I should do as a fat girl should and hide myself in oversized black clothing and hide my chub from the world.”

Now this doesn’t really bother me because I love the attention and I don’t care what people think about how I look,  especially when I know I look fab but seriously people! I know that when people judge me for being my FATshionable self thats it’s a reflection about how they feel about themselves. I know it a struggle to change the close minded and be a fat girl who is also fashionable and glam, and that there will be those who don’t think I should have any respect for myself because of my weight. That however is a struggle I am willing to take on. I always follow Ghandi’s idea that “we must be the change we wish to see in the rest of the world” and I feel by being fierce and fat and fabulous and everything that I am, I am hopefully helping to be that change and to more it forward.  But there is also the struggle of my locale that comes into play though as well. There are some high fashion and very well put together people in Boise, don’t get me wrong, and  if you are one of them I would love to hear from you, hell we could even go shopping, but there are a lot of people here that just don’t get it and think that a fucking sweater dress is going too far.  So here I am in a little/big city, being fat and flaming and sometimes overdressed and getting negative attention for it, but fuck that, for every negative look or opinion there are 5 others that counteract them and even if those 5 had to come from myself then its all worth it.

Yesterday I wore bright pink tights with my a little black dress, sure a few people looked at me the way those bitchy Rodeo Drive chicks looked at Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, but I did have about 10 other people call me sexy, sassy and hot!

So fuck you Boise, I am Fat Fierce Fashionable and Fucking Awesome and if you don’t like it you can move, I’m taking over.

[Via http://mylipstickonhercollar.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment