Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Reason #146: The Color Purple

Have you ever seen the movie “The Color Purple”?  The book is wonderful, and so is the movie.  This woman, Celie, has her sister cruelly taken away from her by her shithead of a husband.  When Celie confronts her husband about it, she says “She was the only somebody who loved me.” 

We survivors of sexual abuse hold onto the littlest bits of love that you are willing to give us, and we treat these little bits as though they are mountains of gold.  It kind of reminds me of a song lyric from a song by the Goo Goo dolls that says “And the least they ever gave you, was the most you ever knew”.

My ex-girlfriend got in touch with me recently.  I was thrilled to hear from her, as it felt like she had fallen off the face of the earth.  I had been searching for her for years, and it looks like she was searching for me too.

When I made the decision to get involved with her, I knew she was a survivor of incest and child sexual abuse, like me.  I thought of us as two survivors who fell in love.   For a long time, it felt like she was the only somebody who loved me.  I was wrong, but at the time I thought I was right. This is why you shouldn’t fuck kids.

[Via http://reasonsyoushouldntfuckkids.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment