Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Kiss my

Your back’s against the wall

There’s no-one home to call

You’re forgetting who you are

You can’t stop crying

It’s part not giving in

And part trusting your friends

You do it all again

And I’m not lying The Gossip – Standing in the way of control   If your not pushed over by how powerful those lyrics are or by lead singers Beth Ditto’s voice; I think you need to shut up and take a seat.  She has one of the most powerful voices I’ve heard in a long time. This song encapsulates the lost and found of adolescence. For years we’ve complained about Britney’s lack of vocal skills yet her albums continue to be number 1 on US Charts. I like everyone in the world don’t mind her record studio induced vocals at a club but I need my real kick you in the face singer twice as much.   I remember re-hearing “Standing in the way of control” on the British TV show Skins. It was used in their promotional videos, commercials, and has become the unofficial Skins theme song. I highly recommend you check out that show if you haven’t.   But back to Beth & The Gossip, Constantly charting #1 on the UK Charts and embraced in the  UK Fashion & Club Scene. It shames me that such an amazing voice and well put together band can’t seem to get the mainstream recognition I know they have in UK and abroad. Is it because she’s Big? Constantly in a state of Undress? A Lesbian? or because America rather see a talentless Bi-Polar Bi-Sexual Thin Pop Singer that we can’t give the Gossip the much due respect they deserve?   Beth Ditto, a Punk Lesbian Feminist with the Incredible Voice. I’m proud to say she has also launched a Plus Size Clothing Line. She’s also spoken out about having a positive self-image. I couldn’t think of a better role model.   Beth Ditto, OYE!   The Gossip – Standing in the way of Control – Music Video    

Beth Ditto of The Gossip

[Via http://hottline.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment