Monday, January 25, 2010

Who needs the Hell's Angels when ya' got Northwest Arkansas' new Babes, Bikes, Bling!

Here’s the latest Report from the concerned citizens of Fayetteville, Arkansas on the trouble brewing between families and kids - and fears about wild chicks hangin’ it all out on big, noisy motorbikes.

Imagine the fun your neighborhood Hells Angels chapter and the new chick biker rally in Northwest Arkansas will bring to your neighborhoods in Fayetteville. It sounds like the new Boobs, Butts, and Baby Oil Biker Rally is gonna’ bring out the baad, baaad, baaad asses looking for some booty! Can’t wait to see some stare-downs on Dickson…..

Some folks just can’t imagine what it will do for beer sales, guys who sweep up the condoms and beer bottles from the gutters, and sales-hungry edible panty salesmen.

Not everyone agrees with Rog that what Fayetteville needs is a big ol’ party on Dick Street. Er’ I mean Dickson Street.

Here’s what one local concerned about the impact on families in the neighborhood wrote on Facebook:

“I’d like to thank everyone who showed up tonight to voice your concerns to the city council. I’d like to apologize for my abysmal performance at the podium. I probably should have mentioned that I am a very anxious person and don’t do well in front of crowds. Doing even the little that I did almost sent me running for cover.. Some notes:

The first thing I noticed was the pro-BBB group was very well organized. They were handing out name stickers to show affiliation, wore their business uniforms when available, and almost all of them knew each other.

The pro-BBB group was almost entirely comprised of hospitality industry business owners. If my count is correct, there was only one citizen who was not affiliated with a hospitality industry business who had anything positive to say about the event. Conversely, there were several small business owners and independent citizens who spoke in opposition to the event.

The pro-BBB group’s arguments were twofold. Every single one of them talked about money, and some of them mentioned a negative impact from complicating the permit approval process further.

To their arguments, I would respond (if given the chance, which I was not since I got in line relatively early) that money is not everything. That the image of our town and the comfort and consideration of our citizens should be a factor as well. That one extra step of involving the citizens in the approval process of potentially extremely impacting events is not too much to ask nor do I think it would be significant enough to discourage event proposal..

Again, I’d like to thank everyone who attended, and I look forward to organizing with you in the future to help make Fayetteville a town we’re all proud to live in.”

Sounds like fun to me!

[Via http://rogersarkansas.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment