Monday, January 25, 2010

Momentary Pause

My eyes floated over her face, taking in the different aspects, the angles and swoops.  Words fluttered about us in conversation as verbs stacked on top of nouns.  Words forgotten faster than they could come out.  But there was something she said, something that spoke to me as I lifted her eyes to mine.  Explored her as her pupils dialated into a passageway meant only for me.

Her speech slowed, stopped for a moment.  And I smiled an outspoken smile and waited for her to regain her thought, finish her sentence.  I waited with my fingertip resting on her hip and watched as her lips lifted into her own smile.  Yes, we spoke very well.  “I’m fine until you look me in the eyes.”  But those words came later and I followed them with, Yes, me too.  Perfectly fine.

And that momentary pause said everything to me.  The tiny space between two words that should have been connected, broken by our connection.

(May 1, 2008)

[Via http://valeriehunt.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment