Friday, January 29, 2010

..what's wanted?

Everyone knows you make time for the things that are important to you, well TYPICALLY people make time for what is important to them. Anyway one who is following along knows that a new person has begun to catch my interest. We’re calling her CraigsList, until I can come up with something better.

Up until yesterday, I didn’t know much about her outside of what she looked like, a couple of her interests, that she loves to read, a few of her goals and she has an excellent sense of humor. So, being the naturally curious person I am, it urked me that I couldn’t get a little deeper (I like to know a lot early on so I can exit IMMEDIATELY if not interested). Well, yesterday was that day.

As I had mentioned yesterday, I reached out to her (via email) not expecting to much in response, as she always declares she is super busy. Well, Miss CraigList shocked the shit out of me when she not only replied to my idle inquisitions, but went into further detail with them than I expected. To further this, she always was so generous as to share one of her favorite poetic pieces with me. NICE.

We got a little deeper into the getting to know each other process (well, I got deeper into getting to know her) and I learned quite a few interesting things.

CraigsList is a totally devoted, single mommy. She works hard, is pursuing her Masters’ degree and raises a mini me. She was lived with the father of her daughter for four years and they were engaged to be married. For reasons unbeknownst to me, the wedding was called off (by whom, I’m uncertain) and he moved out. My understanding is that he is a DAD, not just a father. He steps up full force and remains involved in MiniCraigsList’s (I couldn’t come up with a name for her yet) life.

I don’t like making snap decisions. I don’t like to judge. I like to have all the facts and process my thoughts before I open my mouth. So, I had a million and one questions after reading all of this, but I decided it best to let things come out on their own. HOWEVER, ya’ll know I had to ask the million dollar CLICHE question:

ARE YOU LESBIAN, BI, CURIOUS, OR SOME CATEGORY ALL YOUR OWN?

I hate to have asked that, because labels are absolutely horrendous, but I needed to know. MiniCraigsList is still a toddler, so not too long ago, she was an engaged woman. Her response of course, was not that simple, but I dig her answer.

We continued through the day shooting emails back and forth until finally, we both had to get moving in directions out of our offices. We both had class and welp, I didn’t expect to hear from her until today OR ANOTHER DAY, for that matter.

Before the conclusion of our conversation, I made it clear to her that despite all that, I was interested in getting to know her better and she stated the same.

Now, when people give me replies such as those, I immediately toss them out. I dont take them as being genuine. In my mind it registers as a “polite” response of sorts that you are tossing out because of what I said first. It’s just like when someone says, “Hi, how are you?” and another person replies, “Good, and you?” They typically not asking because they care to know, but because it’s:

A: a natural reply

B: a polite reply

C: just to have said something in return

SURPRISE.

I didn’t have to wait until today to hear from her. I didn’t have to wait a couple of days to her from her. Last night, at minutes to 11 last night (just before bootycall hour), guess who gets a call from CraigsList?! I did. This woman just throws me for a loop. She called me just before she went to sleep just to catch up on the rest of my day a little.

TWO POINTS.

Simple things like that are what make my whole day. Doesn’t take much to make me happy. That small stich of effort (just a few minutes on the phone) speaks volumes to me. And it made me think about something she had stuck into one of her earlier messages.

We had been discussing poetry and how she likes to write, but hasn’t been able to find the time to do so. She then said, “we do make time for the things that we want to right?!”

…..interesting.

WOW, guess who is calling me!!

……..update to follow.

[Via http://much2inspired.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment